Red Chilaquiles is a delicious breakfast idea!
Here is a fabulous recipe for them from our Light and Easy Meal Plans, available at Recipe Bungalow at www.RecipeBungalow.com.
About a decade ago, I lived and worked in San Francisco. They had a great Farmers' Market at the Ferry Building. I used to loved to get fresh, hot Chilaquiles from a lovely family who cooked them fresh to order.
Chilaquiles are a Mexican dish made with layers of corn tortilla chips and salsa or mole, a Mexican sauce rich with spices and flavors. They are generally served with eggs or chicken, refried beans, and topped with queso fresco, sour cream, avocado, and more salsa.
Here is a recipe video for Red Chilaquiles, inspired by my Saturday mornings at the San Francisco farmers' market. In case you can't see the captions, the recipe is below!
Red Chilaquiles Recipe
1 tsp. olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 small canned chipotle pepper, diced
1 tbsp. adobo sauce
16 oz. (455g) can tomato sauce
1 tsp. dried oregano
½ tsp. chili powder
½ tsp. ground cumin
8.5 fl. oz. (240ml) chicken broth
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. ground pepper
3 large eggs
6 oz. (170g) tortilla chips
2 tbsp. feta cheese, crumbled
1 sliced avocado
6 sliced radishes
2 tbsp. diced red onion
3 tbsp. Greek yogurt
2 tbsp. cilantro, chopped
1. Add the olive oil to a medium skillet over a medium heat, add the garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
2. Add the chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, tomato sauce, oregano, chili powder, cumin, broth, salt and pepper.
3. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5-10 minutes (this will help thicken the sauce). Remove from the heat and set aside until ready to use.
3. While the sauce is simmering, prepare the toppings and start frying the eggs.
4. Add the tortilla chips to the sauce and gently flip over the tortilla chips until they are all well coated in the sauce.
5. Cook over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes until the chips have softened slightly.
6. Remove from the heat and serve immediately topped with a fried egg, feta cheese, sliced avocado, radish, red onion, Greek yogurt and cilantro.
Live, Love, Chat and Eat,
Kate and Crew